Prior to the 1996 season, the Wofford football team played home games at Synder Field. The first football game was played at Synder Field in 1930, with lights installed for the 1948 season. With the move to NCAA Division I, a new football facility was a priority. Gibbs Stadium seats approximately 8,500 in grandstands, while an additional 4,500 seats are available in both endzones. The south endzone, known as the Verandah Lot, has become prime tailgating space for donors to the Terrier Club.
In 2010, Wofford College and Capturion Network installed a new LED video board at Gibbs Stadium. The new video board took the place of the original scoreboard in the north endzone. The video board is a gift from Jimmy and Marsha Gibbs.
Overall, the LED board ise 57 feet wide and 22 feet tall, making it one of the 30 largest video boards in all of college football. The overall size of the entire unit, including sound system and advertising panels, is 57 feet by 30 feet tall. The football display system uses Capturions newest P22 Discrete LED technology using 22mm full color LED with a 784×308 pixel matrix. The technology and its control system allows for complete flexibility in programming, operating as single giant display or divided into multiple zones (windows) to show a wide variety of statistics, information, graphics, animation, and live and recorded video. In addition to the video board, the project also includes a new sound system for Gibbs Stadium.
The press box includes two radio booths, a television booth, scoreboard control room, plus two coaches boxes. A crows nest for videographers is also provided. On the second level, the Mungo Room is a hospitality suite that is available as the Presidents Box on gameday and is used throughout the year as a meeting room.
Architects for Gibbs Stadium were McMillan, Smith and Partners, while M.B. Kahn Construction was the general contractor. The overall budget for the project was approximately $4.5 million.
The facility was made possible with a gift from the Gibbs Foundation, along with support from federal economic development grants and Spartanburg County School District 7. Gibbs Stadium is the home of Wofford football, along with Spartanburg High School football. During the summer the facility has been used by the Carolina Panthers for training camp.
429 North Church Street
Spartanburg, SC 29303