Morgan Square (Spartanburg Historic District)
Spartanburg SC 29306
Spartanburg's original public square dates from 1787, when this location was designated as the seat of the Spartan District, later Spartanburg County. After the establishment of the first courthouse and jail, businesses and taverns were built in lots bordering the square. Before long, Morgan Square was the thriving commercial and cultural hub of the community. Today's downtown retains many of the historic features present over a century ago, including the original town clock and the 1881 Daniel Morgan monument, from which the square derives its name. Many of the storefronts on the south side of the square date to the 1880's and the lush public park hosts gatherings throughout the year.
From the Spartanburg Insider's Blog
- Drayton Mills Trail - A Getaway That’s Not Too Far Away 22-Jul-2016
- Visiting the alpacas at North Woods Farm 25-May-2016
- Three Spartanburg County Chefs Serve Up Their Secrets 05-Apr-2016
- The Sparkle City Pizza Scene 23-Mar-2016