Art and Music Lover Itineraries
½ Day Art/Music Lover Tour
- Spend the morning on one of our college campuses' art galleries. Be sure to check out Wofford College's Sandor Teszler Library Gallery and the Martha Cloud Chapman Gallery. From Wofford head to Converse College's gallery. Afterwards, visit Spartanburg Methodist College's Mary Ellen Suitt Art Gallery. Finally, check out the Curtis R. Harley Art Gallery on the campus of USC Upstate.
Full Day Art/Music Lover Tour
- Begin your day by visiting the Spartanburg Art Museum (SAM) and the Artist Guild at the Chapman Cultural Center and learn about the painting entitled "The Girl with the Red Hair”, painted by the very talented artist Robert Henri in 1903, and its ties to Spartanburg.
- From the Cultural Center, head down to the intersection of Liberty St and E. Main Street. Turn right onto Liberty Street where you will find the beginning of the Spartanburg Music Trail. A remarkable number of talented musicians hail from the Hub-City and the music trail highlights 12 of them. The trail’s audio tour features the history of each musician as well as a sample of their music.
- Along the trail, stop at one the restaurants along Main St. such as Groucho’s, Lime Leaf, Wild Wing Café or Cribb’s on Main.
- Also be sure to view all of public art and sculpture along the way. Download our SculpTOUR brochure before you go to learn all about the art you see.
- The Music Trail ends on S. Daniel Morgan Ave., which is home to The Showroom. This is a cultural gathering spot that offers over 100 nights of entertainment a year, including concerts, film, progressive art exhibits, experimental theater, workshops, and more. Stop in and check out what they have lined up for the day and/or evening.
2 Day Art/Music Lover Tour
- Begin the day in Chesnee and stop in the Carolina Foothills Artisan Center, where you will find one of a kind art made by local artists.
- Walk next door to Homespun Bluegrass and talk to KT. You will have to come back for a show on Saturday, but it will be worth it.
- While you are in Chesnee, step back in time and visit the Bantam Chef, a unique 50's style diner for lunch.
- After spending the morning in Chesnee, some of you may be interested in seeing where some of the musicians that you learned about yesterday on the Music Trail are buried. Venture back to town on Hwy 29 and take a right onto Plainview Drive. This will put you at Lincoln Memorial Cemetery where blues musician Pink Anderson is buried.
- Take a right out of the cemetery, follow Skylyn Drive, and take a left onto Drayton Avenue which eventually turns into Fernwood Glendale. Turn left into Greenlawn Memorial Gardens and see the graves of Thomas Caldwell, Toy Caldwell and George McCorkle three of the founding members of the Marshall Tucker Band.
- Every third Thursday of the month, take advantage of Art Walk in downtown Spartanburg. Stop in the galleries and admire the beautiful artwork adorned in the stores. And April through August, enjoy Music on Main as you stroll the streets.
3 Day Art/Music Lover Tour
- If you are visiting on a Wednesday, start your day with a southern breakfast and gospel music at Dolline’s, in the small community of Clifton.
- Check out a few more galleries that you may have not seen last night. Visit Converse College, USC Upstate, Wofford College for their Outdoor Art as well as their indoor Galleries.
- Bring your lunch and enjoy Music Sandwiched In at the Downtown Public Library (on selected Wednesdays at 12:15). http://www.spartanburgphilharmonic.org/msi.html
- If you’re here on a Friday evening, don’t miss Jazz on the Square. (April & May, September & October)
Guides & Listings
Spartanburg is teeming with museums, galleries, theaters, and live music venues. Immerse yourself and expand your cultural horizon.
Sometimes, only a steaming plate of pasta and a glass of good red wine will do.Read More
A Breakfast Tour of Spartanburg
My girlfriend and I took a breakfast tour around Spartanburg, checking out three local favorites.Read More
Strawberry Hill USA
Strawberry Hill USA, a great place to buy strawberries and peaches and enjoy family fun.Read More