Why is Spartanburg so special? The area is home to different people with different interests, creating a colorful clash of destinations and characters while maintaining its deep roots in everything Southern.
Spartanburg can actually seem like several destinations all rolled up in one: it’s a college town, a thriving arts community, a historical haunt, a businessperson’s dream, and an outdoor sanctuary.
Spartanburg prides itself with its historical preservation while developing into a modern hub city due to its central location to Atlanta, Charlotte, Columbia, and Asheville. Come and explore the Hub City and the genteel manners of its residents.
In The News
- Spartanburg makes the Chicago Tribune
October 22, 2014
- Spartanburg Named one Of South's Top Cities For Music & Meetings
September 10, 2013
- SPARTANBURG'S TEXTILE HERITAGE FEATURED IN NEW TOURISM MAP & GUIDE
September 4, 2013
- TOURISM EXEC COMPLETES SECOND YEAR OF MARKETING COLLEGE
August 22, 2013
- 2013 PANTHERS TRAINING CAMP SETS NEW ATTENDANCE RECORD
August 14, 2013
- TOURISM AGENCY AND HERALD JOURNAL FORM MARKETING PARTNERSHIP
August 7, 2013
- SEEING SPARTANBURG ON TWO WHEELS
June 14, 2013
- WALKING MAP FEATURES HISTORIC SPARTANBURG SITES
April 28, 2013
- SPARTANBURG TOURISM GROUP RECEIVES NATIONAL READERS' CHOICE AWARD
February 14, 2013
|Watch All Spartanburg Videos|
Info for the Media
Interested in writing about Spartanburg? Great! We've done some of the work for you with some story starters and how we would describe our wonderful city in 100 words or less and 250 words or less.
If you need additional information or are looking for high resolutions photos, please call our office at 864-594-5000.
Story Starter Ideas
- Spartanburg is the home to over 10 Revolutionary War Battle sites
- Spartanburg was the first Bike Friendly Town in South Carolina
- Spartanburg is home to the Beacon Drive In and the NuWay all featured on the Food Network and Regis & Kelly.
- Spartanburg is home to 8 colleges making it known as a "College Town".
- Spartanburg boasts close to 100 outdoor art sculptures.
- Spartanburg was home to Pink Anderson, a famous jazz musician from whom Pink Floyd took their name and the Marshall Tucker Band.
Spartanburg in 100 words:
Named after the Spartan Regiment of the South Carolina Militia, Spartanburg thrives to be a progressive town, while also remembering and honoring its past. Standing in the center of Morgan Square in the heart of downtown, is a statue of General Daniel Morgan, who led the American forces to a victory at the Battle of Cowpens. Today, General Morgan stands surrounded by a bustling city center with a variety of restaurants, businesses, and beautiful sculptures and fountains as well as bike paths. Whether your interest is history, arts and culture, active living, or agri-tourism, Spartanburg has something for you!
Spartanburg in 250 words:
Spartanburg, SC, or the Hub City as it is referred to on many occasion, is a place with tremendous energy. Our culture is unique on many levels with the aforementioned nickname referencing not only the railroad heritage but also the fact that we are the hub of art, music, active living and everything that you would want in a community to live or visit. Named after the Spartan Regiment of the South Carolina Militia, Spartanburg thrives to be a progressive town, while also remembering and honoring its past. Standing in the center of Morgan Square in the heart of downtown, is a statue of General Daniel Morgan, who led the American forces to a victory at the Battle of Cowpens. Today, General Morgan stands surrounded by a bustling city center with a variety of restaurants, businesses, and beautiful sculptures and fountains. Just a few blocks away you can find one of the most innovative artists in residence programs in the nation, housed in the HUB-BUB building. An old Nash-Rambler car dealership has been transformed into a cultural gathering spot, housing artists from all over the country, while also offering more than 100 nights of entertainment a year. Named as the first “Bicycle Friendly Community” in the state, Spartanburg is full of bike lanes and paths. With nearly 50 sites and districts listed on the National Register, it is clear to see that Spartanburg has a history that it is proud of and continually works to preserve.
Spartanburg Convention & Visitors Bureau
105 North Pine St
PO Box 1636
Spartanburg, SC 29304
Sometimes, only a steaming plate of pasta and a glass of good red wine will do.Read More
A Breakfast Tour of Spartanburg
My girlfriend and I took a breakfast tour around Spartanburg, checking out three local favorites.Read More
Strawberry Hill USA
Strawberry Hill USA, a great place to buy strawberries and peaches and enjoy family fun.Read More
From the Spartanburg Insider's Blog
Connect With Spartanburg
Spartanburg, SC 29304