Family Fun Itineraries
Children of all ages will enjoy the fun and excitement of Spartanburg, with places to bike, skate, swim, explore, play and make memories that will bring you back time and again.
Things to Do with the Family
½ Day Family Itinerary-Fall/Winter
- Start your day by visiting the Spartanburg Art Museum at Chapman Cultural Center where the exhibits are constantly changing. The Art Museum is open Tuesday-Saturday from 10am-5pm.
- While at the Chapman Cultural Center, stay for a bit to experience the Spartanburg Science Center. There you will be able to hold a live snake, among other exciting hands-on-activities, which are great for the children.
- Travel a few blocks down to Magnolia Street and stop at the Hub City Railroad Museum. Here you will learn why Spartanburg is called the “Hub City”. The museum is open Wednesdays from 10am-2pm and Saturdays from 8am-2pm.
- End your morning by picking up lunch from Converse Deli and having a picnic at Hatcher Garden & Woodland Preserve, one of Spartanburg’s hidden gems.
Full Day Family Itinerary-Fall/Winter
- Begin the day by doing a little indoor rock climbing at Glendale Outdoor Leadership School (GOLS).
- After getting in your exercise, head to Hearts of Clay and paint your own souvenir to take home with you. Once you’ve finished your masterpiece, walk next door to Chuck E. Cheese for lunch and some games.
- Next, enjoy some more indoor activities, perfect for rain or shine. Let the children play and jump around at Monkey Joe’s.
- After all the indoor fun you’ve had, head back downtown to the Hot Spot Skate Park. If you are adventurous enough, try testing your talent on the ramps. If not, just enjoy the show and leave it to the pros.
- End your day with a full belly and get your veggies at Wades-Voted 2nd place in Southern Living Magazine’s “Southern Favorite Restaurants Readers’ Choice Awards”.
2-Day Family Itinerary-Fall/Winter
- Head to Strawberry Hill USA for breakfast in their café and then take a hayride through the farm. While you are there, pick a pumpkin and enjoy the open-air-market with fresh, baked breads and all things in season.
- Next, take a safari ride at Hollywild Animal Park and let the animals eat right out of your hand. During the holiday season, make sure you go at night and experience the Hollywild Holiday Lights Safari-a one-of-a-kind event that runs nightly. Visitors drive their own vehicles through nearly 100 acres magically decorated with millions of twinkling lights and herds of live animals!
- For lunch, stop by Pig Out BBQ, one of Spartanburg’s locals favorite BBQ places.
- Try a round of bowling at Paradise Lanes-fun for the whole family!
3-Day Family Itinerary-Fall/Winter
- Start the morning at Live Oak Farm in Woodruff, where the children can feed the animals. While there, shop in their farm store for local produce, cheeses, eggs, soaps and more.
- Have lunch at the Turtle Parfait in downtown Woodruff. Be sure to save plenty of room for dessert-you won’t be able to say no to their cakes and ice cream!
- After lunch, head to Westgate Mall and get some shopping done. While the adults are shopping, the children can enjoy a train ride through the mall.
- Enjoy dinner and a movie. Spartan 16 Theater is right beside the shopping mall and there are plenty of options around when it comes to restaurants.
1/2 Day Family Itinerary-Spring/Summer
- Begin the day by picking strawberries at any of the local farms. Strawberry Hill USA has one of the largest strawberry fields in the Southeast!
- After getting strawberries at Strawberry Hill USA, head across the street and have lunch and a scoop of homemade ice cream at their Café.
Full Day Family Itinerary-Spring/Summer
- After you have spent your morning picking strawberries and getting your belly full at Strawberry Hill USA, head to downtown Spartanburg for a bike ride. In 2011, Spartanburg launched a bicycle sharing program called B-Cycle, which was the first bike sharing system in the Southeast! You will find self-service bike rental stations (B-stations) on the Rail Trail and in Morgan Square, where you can rent a bicycle for 24 hours for $5. Rent your bike and ride the Rail Trail.
- After riding the Rail Trail, spend the rest of the afternoon browsing the shops downtown and end the day with dinner at one of our downtown restaurants such as Cribb’s on Main.
2-Day Family Itinerary-Spring/Summer
- When the weather is hot, there is nothing better than spending the day cooling off at a water park. Head to Shipwreck Cove Water Park in Duncan and let the kids play in their waterslides and in the lazy river. No need to travel anywhere for lunch-just grab a bite to eat at their snack bar.
- Everyone wants a scoop of ice cream on hot days, so end the afternoon by taking the family to Southern Sisters Coffee and Sweet Shop in Reidville.
3-Day Family Itinerary-Spring/Summer
- Head to Hollywild Animal Park for their Outback Safari Ride through 70+ acres of free roaming animals. The children will have fun trying to spot the hidden babies in the woods while being surrounded by dozens of animals, many which will eat right out of your hand.
- For lunch, head over for a slice at the Inman House of Pizza.
- Spend the afternoon picking peaches at Johnson Brothers in Inman. Be sure to try their peach ice cream!
Guides & Listings
Still not sure what to do with your family? Take a look at the local attractions and videos for even more ideas.
Sometimes, only a steaming plate of pasta and a glass of good red wine will do.Read More
A Breakfast Tour of Spartanburg
My girlfriend and I took a breakfast tour around Spartanburg, checking out three local favorites.Read More
Strawberry Hill USA
Strawberry Hill USA, a great place to buy strawberries and peaches and enjoy family fun.Read More
From the Spartanburg Insider's Blog
- Farmers Market 04-May-2015
- Eating the Thai Way in Spartanburg 04-May-2015
- Finding local history at four Spartanburg County museums 03-Mar-2015
- To the Mountaintop with the founder of The Assault on Mt. Mitchell 09-Feb-2015